Church of San Domenico


Place of worship

Oct 17, 2023 10:30 AM

The construction of the building begins with the foundation of Dominicans Monastery in 1464Church was originally built using tufa and suffered severe damage during earthquake of 1662. Current look and style are the result of the intervention of Mattia Preti as well as the cycle of frescoes depicting the story of St. Dominic's life on the arches of the nave, completed in 1693 by minor artists. With French domination, in the early nineteenth century, Monastery is suppressed only to be restored in 1820. Entire archive of Church and Dominican Library were lost in a fire in 1861.

Informazioni Utili
2H9J+XX, Taverna
How to get