Dominican Convent

70e3baaed0decb62105258784c9ffee3

Point of interest

The Convent of the Dominican Friars was built in the fifteenth century by Cobella Ruffo, wife of Ruggiero Sanseverino, Countess of Altomonte in 1402. The Monastery goes to the Dominican Fathers in 1444, together with the Church of Our Lady of Consolation. The Convent, enlarged over the centuries, it was mainly the center of theological and scientific studies. Among the many people who were guests, the novelist Matteo Bandello and Tommaso Campanella, who wrote, around 1589, the "Philosophia sensibus demonstrata". The renovated building is now owned by the City, and since 1980, the Civic Museum which houses the Public Library, the Historical Library, the Municipal Gallery of Modern Art and the dining-conference "Razetti Room".

https://calabriastraordinaria.it/en/places/dominican-convent-altomonte

Informazioni Utili
M4XJ+JP, Altomonte
How to get

Mappa

Ultimo aggiornamento: Oct 20, 2023 10:22 AM