Church and Convent of San Bernardino da Siena


Place of worship

Church of St. Bernardine of Siena, declared "National Monument", dates back to the first half of the fifteenth century and is flanked by Oratory of Nobles and Convent of Minor Friars, founded in 1436. In 1581 was founded Confraternity of Immaculate Conception, reserved only to the nobles of the city, which elected as its center St. Bernardine's Church. The earthquake of 1638 has severely damaged Church, causing the collapse of the bell tower, rebuilt several times. Convent was looted by French soldiers in 1809, and the property passed to the State which, in turn, granted to noble Giulio Sacchi as his residence. 

Current appearance of Church is the result of the interventions by Gilberto Martelli that, in 1953, have restored Gothic architecture. The entrance porch, accessible by a staircase, is enclosed between the bell tower and the angle of Convent and is spread over five pointed arches supported by columns with drip capitals; the portal is travertine, with a Catalan arch. The facade, "hut", has a small lancet window surmounted by recesses in which were placed decorative ceramic basins. Central nave, covered by trusses, is separated from the left aisle by five pointed arches and is illuminated by four mullioned windows for side. The left nave is divided into six bays and hosts some works of art, among which "Madonna and Child" in Carrara marble, by Antonello Gagini (1505). The last span serves as access to a burial chamber. Presbytery is introduced by a large triumphal sandstone arch, covered by a vault. Oratory of Nobles is located in the northwest corner of Convent and consists of a single nave. Monastery has been completely renovated in the nineties, bringing to light a number of archaeological remains still visible through a glass floor.

Informazioni Utili
43MH+VC, Amantea
How to get


Last update: Oct 20, 2023 10:35 AM